High vs. Low Volatility Slots

High vs. Low Volatility Slots

When you play an online slot game and see a steady stream of fruitless spins, it can be easy to suspect things have been rigged in the house’s favor.

But everything’s on the up and up, you’re just playing a high-volatility slot that’s been designed specifically to offer a “feast or famine” gameplay experience.

What is Slot Volatility?

While most slot enthusiasts know about playability metrics like payback percentage and return to player (RTP) rate, volatility is a foreign concept to many. Simply put, a slot game’s volatility level defines how often payouts are awarded, combined with the relative value of those payouts.

Those high-volatility slots that never seem to land on a winner definitely do, but it takes plenty of spins to get there. And when a winning combination flashes across the screen, the wait is worth it thanks to big-time payouts that bring back significant risk to reward ratios.

In other words, you won’t hit winning spins very frequently while playing a high-volatility slot, but when you do, even the lower-level payouts can return something like 40 coins per coin wagered. Hit the higher-level payouts, however, and you might just collect 20,000 to 100,000 coins for every coin put at risk.

On the other hand, a low-volatility slot game takes the exact opposite approach. You’ll collect winners every few spins or so, and when Lady Luck is looking your way, winners are paid out several times in a row.

To compensate for the constant wave of winning spins, a low-volatility slot offers smaller payout ratios. You might collect a 2 to 1 double up on your coins for the lower-level combinations, while the topline jackpot payouts are capped at 200 coins.

Pros and Cons of High and Low Volatility Slots

Slot machine software designers recognize that different players want different things from their favorite games, so they tinker with volatility levels to find the perfect fit.

If you enjoy scoring as many winners as possible to extend the session, a low-volatility slot is the ticket. These games make sure to produce payouts at a steady pace, and although most winners will be on the small side, collecting them gives you extra opportunities to chase larger jackpots.

Conversely, players who like the idea of shooting for the moon - and don’t mind waiting out prolonged droughts in the process - largely prefer the high-volatility slots. It can take a while to line up the reels just right, and then suddenly the screen is lit up with a payout that more than makes up for the wait.

How to Assess a Slot’s Volatility Level

Generally speaking, a slot game’s pay table construction provides the most telling clues about volatility.

When you see wide discrepancies between the minimum and maximum payouts, say 25 coins at the lowest level and 25,000 for the best combo, you’re in for a high-volatility experience.

And when the pay table is tighter, with a range of 2 to 200 coins for example, it’ll be a low-volatility day.

Another telltale indicator of volatility involves fixed versus progressive jackpots. Low-volatility slots tend to offer fixed jackpots, while their high-volatility counterparts justify the lack of small winners with massive six-figure and even seven-figure scores.

High and Low Volatility Slots Offered on Ignition

If you’re done flying blind, and only want to play Ignition slots that offer a volatility level to your liking, the lists below are a great starting point:

High-Volatility Ignition Slots

Aztec’s Treasure
Crystal Waters
Mister Money
Mystic Wolf
Rain Dance
Shopping Spree
Tiger Treasures

Low-Volatility Ignition Slots

Derby Dollars
Diamond Dozen
Food Fight
Football Frenzy
Fruit Frenzy
Sherwood Forest Fortunes
Space Traders

4 Likes

THIS IS SO TRUE JAJA YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF:
When you play an online slot game and see a steady stream of fruitless spins, it can be easy to suspect things have been rigged in the house’s favor.

What is Slot Volatility?

While most slot enthusiasts know about playability metrics like payback percentage and return to player (RTP) rate, volatility is a foreign concept to many. Simply put, a slot game’s volatility level defines how often payouts are awarded, combined with the relative value of those payouts.

“Very well stated but you could test the volatility by betting the lowest amount and seeing the payout frequency then decide yourself: EXAMPLE DEMI GODS IS A KILLER MACHINE!!! start with $25 but pays incredibly eventhou I loss a lot since I should have study the patterns before raising it to $100 and let it rest but it got me to PLATINUM LEVE ;-)”

GREAT TIP:

If you enjoy scoring as many winners as possible to extend the session, a low-volatility slot is the ticket. These games make sure to produce payouts at a steady pace, and although most winners will be on the small side, collecting them gives you extra opportunities to chase larger jackpots.

CRYSTAL WATERS: Nice but like Aztec playmode recommended is AUTOPLAY but it has a nice feature on the progressive Jackpot no maximum bet!!! but does not pay proportionally to bet I started at $0.40 cent and took me down my balance ;-(

Random Progressive Jackpot

A random progressive jackpot can be won at the conclusion of any game and is paid regardless of the denomination played.
Progressive jackpot wins are added to other wins.

Well I tested some of the machines and now Im down from $2000 to $1756 ;-( but here’s the results… Demi and my other machines took me back to $2000!!

-Derby Dollars not good at all…

-Space traders nice grafics but NOT GOOD!!

-Sherwood Forest Fortunes VERY INTERESTING!!

-Diamond Dozen VERY NICE!!!..
Random Progressive Jackpot

A random progressive jackpot can be won at the conclusion of any game and is paid regardless of the denomination played.
Progressive jackpot wins are added to other wins.

-FOOD FIGHT just makes you hungry :wink: NO GOOD

-FOOTBALL FRENZY waoooo!!! awesome pays proportionally just get familiar with the layout!! and it flow amazingly and you can stop the spins!!!

-Fruit Frenzy: NO GOOD

-Mystic wolf NOT GOOD recommended fast spins…
The Random Win Jackpot hits more frequently and pays higher wins during this round.

-Rain Dance NOT GOOD!!

-Tiger Treasures NOT GOOD!!

WAOOOOO FOOTBALL FRENZY GOT ME BACK UP!!! AWESOME

1 Like

wao thank for the list i will try them now ; don’t forget try demi gods and tell me what you think

Aztec’s Treasure try it but machines which so slow pace are best played with AUTO PLAY it’s ok I will keep testing the others right now from 1 to 10 I give a 3 :smile::smile::smile:

Here’s a demo collaborating my other post review it and see for yourself

Demi demo volatility

talking about volatility this is a nice paying machine Cirque du slot!! Check out @Willey101 and @William too but he works for ignition :smile::smile::smile:

Cirque du slot

1 Like