Late reg? Early reg? Does it matter?

So another topic I thought might be good conversation would be preferences on when to reg a mtt.

3 Likes

I wonder if there is an equation that takes into consideration average chip count, blind level, remaining players, starting stack, payouts etc. to help decide if it makes sense to register late during an ongoing tournament.

I think in most situations its best to register early, but if you just busted from a tournament and want to join another you wouldn’t have joined otherwise, when would it be considered a swinging for the fences late reg?

1 Like

You want to play hands with the fish, the fish are usually the first people out of tourneys - so you do not want to register late.

2 Likes

I believe that there is a good strategy with both because when you late reg it gives you the opportunity to get more chips invested with premium hands and often makes decisions harder on opponents to call when they are facing 500 reraise vs a 100 three Bet in the early part of the game they are more likely to get lucky early on you as well but starting the tourney on time does get you more chips from fish that are very impatient so to me it’s honestly when your comfortable playing would love to hear feed back Berweiler

4 Likes

If your a bad player, register late :money_mouth_face: If you know how to build a stack, don’t be late. Simple.

2 Likes

I like to register late. So little is going on in the early blind stages of an MTT. I see what the BOT below wrote and though in theory that may be correct, save yourself some stress and late register. On this site an hour and even an hour and a half late sometimes works perfect.

1 Like

How does late registering save stress? Please explain

I like to start earlier to build a stack to reduce the stress of coming in late. Although, I notice folks joining late and doing well. Is it a personal preference or is it more profitable to either join early or late?

1 Like

The way I look at it, joining late (<20bb) reduces your expected winnings due to the reliance on variance, but it can save a ton of time. I often join the small buy in tournaments 2 hours+ late and just see if I can get a quick double up. The time saved makes the trade off worth it for me.

For the higher buy in events like the 150K and High Roller on Sunday I usually join at the beginning to maximize my chances of running deep.

3 Likes

I follow that same method

Does late registration have to be that long? I understand allowing people time enough to get registered I’m all for that, but late entries that last 2 hrs is a bit overboard

you think 2hours is too long? some networks are 5 hours of late reg and thats not including breaks lol

1 Like

I have also found this to be true. Most times I late reg so that I know people will take my raises seriously, and they are more likely to be raising seriously as well. Basically, late reg starts me off with a particular amount of information.

I should also mention that this strat is typically only for lower stakes tourneys ($25 and below) known for donks. Anything above those stakes, it is typically better to be in your seat at the start of the tourney for +EV.